Saturday, March 16, 2013

Modern and Vintage Nursery Design

My husband Hunter and I are expecting a baby girl in August. We could not be more thrilled for our first little bundle of joy. We are also in the process of moving into a new space which means I have been extremely busy planning and designing. The space I have been most excited about is the nursery. I put together this nursery inspiration board before I knew the sex of the baby, but whether a boy or girl it did not matter to me because I knew I mostly wanted something gender neutral anyway. I just said if it's a girl I will add in violet and possibly fuscia. It has been a dream of mine to have children and design a special nursery and now that dream is finally coming true!

The theme I was going for was something modern, but also very hand crafted like a mix of homemade and new pieces. I wanted the palette to be fun and artsy since both Hunter and I love art. I have always loved primary colors and yellow is both my husband and I's favorite so we want that to be one of the main colors we use. We are going to do big sunny yellow stripes on the wall with wainscoting below. Another element I wanted to add was natural texture like baskets and wood blocks. I have an extremely large collection of children's books from my childhood bookworm days that I plan to display and also use as a pop of color and inspiration for the rest of the room.  I think the inspiration board will speak for itself, I will post our progress as we go but these have been my initial thoughts. I am trying to learn to crochet so I can make some blankets and textured baskets to go in the space. I also want to put little Pom Pom trim on the decorative pillows and other places where trim could be used adding to that homemade vintage feel. So here is our baby girls design concept for the nursery so far, adding in some violet and fuscia as well. Hope you enjoy!



No comments: